Your Summer in Madison
You’re in for a treat.
Actually, summer in Madison is more than just a treat. It’s like winning a three-month supply of treats. The pace slows down, the temperature goes up, and the sunshine stirs up a different kind of Badger. Besides being an ice cream eating, sunset watching, Mendota dweller, you’ll be a part-time student! Here are a few tips to help you navigate through your best summer yet.
What is a Madison Summer?
- Farmers’ Markets | …but have you tried the Hot & Spicy Cheesebread?
- Concerts on the Square | All you need here is a blanket, some cheese, and your friends.
- Madison Meetups
Exercise with Madison
- UW-Madison Running Club | Exercise with new friends.
- “Bascom Hilltoppers” Group Run with Berkeley Running Company | Leaves every Thursday at 6pm from Bascom Hill!
- Group Runs with Movin’ Shoes | Find running partners for any night of the week.
- Madison Metro Bus Pass | Included in your tuition!
- B-cycles | Red Bike. Green Transportation.
- Badger Bus | Routes to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Eau Claire, and Menomonie.
- Jefferson Lines | Bus rides throughout the Midwest.
- Madison Metro Area Rideshare Network | Grab a ride with someone going your way.
- Zipcar | In partnership with University of Wisconsin – Madison Transportation Services.
- Space permitting, you can apply for on-campus housing in a UW-Madison University Residence Hall.
- The UW-Madison Campus Area Housing (CAH) office is a free resource for students seeking off-campus housing. The Campus Area Housing office maintains a consolidated, free, and searchable list of campus area rental vacancies, sublets, and roommate openings in apartments, houses, fraternity/sorority houses, and Private Housing Connections properties.
Parks and Recreation
Madison Parks | They’re better than Eagleton’s*.
Golf Courses | Spend an amazing four hours on our University Ridge Golf Course. Reduced rates are available for students. Check out the Municipal Golf Rates for students with a valid student ID, listed under the “Golf Course Rates” section.
Madison Mallards | Cheer on Madison’s Northwoods League baseball team!
Anything and Everything Else | Check out Visit Madison’s website. They even have an entire list of things that you can do for free (like the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art (MMoCA), the Henry Vilas Zoo, and so much more).
*If you’re looking for the show, it’s on Netflix. Also an applauded use of your time.